Preparing Students for the 21st Century
Here at P.S. 254 we believe in rigorous instruction that is standards based. We feel it is important to give our students a solid academic foundation that will prepare them for the 21st Century. The educators here are committed to exceeding expectations and making certain that all students have access to relevant and innovative learning opportunities and experiences.
Welcome to the Classroom!
A Project-Based Curriculum
Our curriculum is grounded in Project-Based Learning (PBL). PBL is an active, hands-on approach to learning that invites students to engage with content through complex, real-world questions, problems or challenges. Students master grade-level content and standards in the context of extended, student-directed projects. These projects provide opportunities to develop the 21st century skills that students need for success in higher education and the workforce, including critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication skills. Read more about Project-Based Learning.
Core Academic Subjects
We follow a rigorous curriculum that is aligned with all New York State and NYCDOE academic standards. We provide all students with the supports they need to be successful. Our core curricular programs include:
- English Language Arts: Teacher’s College Reading and Writing Program
- Mathematics: enVisions Math K-5
- Science: HMH Science Dimensions
- Social Studies: Passport to Social Studies
Music, Theater, and the Arts
At P.S. 245, the arts are not an afterthought! They are a core part of who we are. All children are exposed to a rich curriculum of visual arts, music, dance, and theater. These programs give our students opportunities to express themselves creatively and to grow and thrive beyond our core academic programs. We believe the arts are essential to the development of well-rounded students and future leaders.
- Visual Arts
- In-School Residencies
- Ballroom Dancing
Technology and Computer Science
We have a technology-infused curriculum that builds important technology skills and introduces the fundamentals of Computer Science to all students.
- All students have access to laptops and other technology in the classroom as well as in our Computer Lab and Library Media Center.
- We are proud to be a pilot school for the New York City Computer Science for All (CS4ALL) program. This program incorporates coding and computer science into our core content areas.
We offer a full range of Special Education (SPED) services for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). We also provide academic support for any student struggling to master grade-level standards. Your child’s teachers will work with you to identify your child’s needs and make sure they are getting the help they need to be successful.
We offer an After-School program in partnership with Boys and Girls Clubs. This is a fee-based program open to all students on a first-come, first-served basis. Students participate in a variety of after-school enrichment activities until 6:00 p.m. each school day. Enrollment information will be sent home at the beginning of each school year.
Enrichment and Family Activities
At P.S. 254, learning and fun don’t end with the school day! We offer enrichment activities for students and families, including:
- Saturday STEAM Program: This 8-week program, offering in the spring semester, provides opportunities to engage with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math in a fun informal environment. Our programs have included chess, coding, basketball, violin, and more!
- Family Events: Join us for fun monthly events including Book of the Month, Family Math Hour, Family Fun Night, and Family Fitness Night.